Monday, October 6, 2008

Emerging from the black hole of Calcutta...

So, I went to Chicago to the Femme Conference in mid August and promptly fell off the face of the earth. The conference was fantastic. I was reminded of who I am and what I'm capable of in ways that I haven't been in years. Spending time with so many beautiful, brilliant, quirky femmes was nothing short of my soul's salvation. The opportunity to have keynote speaker Dorothy Allison witness and affirm all of our lives as femmes, was like being baptised by a fiery queer preacher. The only difference being that this clergy member actually has your best interests at heart and really DOES want to save your soul.
I was fortunate enough to present an interactive art workshop with
Julie Jewel, Renee Gaudet and Adele Sanchez. Renee and Julie are phenomenal artists in their own righ and Adele is a generous supporter of queer art. We spoke about our experiences as femme artists and then led an interactive project which was enthusiastically indulged in by a variety of femme creative types. I was overjoyed by the cooperative frenzy of creativity and what was wrought.
Little did I realize that when I arived home from femme-con, still basking in the femme-tastic after-glow, I was about to endure the trials of Job in my personal life. I won't go into details but I will say that I'm fairly amazed that my sanity has remained intact over the last month. I'm finally beginning to wind my way out of the labryntine sadness I've endured and of course I've got an assload of work awaiting me as reward. Whee!
The next
Square One art Extravaganza will be held at the Ritz Ybor in Tampa on December 6th. I'm very excited to be a featured artist for this event and I'll be premiering work from my globalism series which was made possible in part through a grant from the Pinellas County Arts Council. These events consistently excite me and this one is certainly no exception.
I'm featured this week on the Queer Etsy Street Team blog! Some friends and I started the team to help promote and support the vast numbers of fantastically talented queer etsians. If you happen to be one and you're looking for your tribe, stop by the team profile page and join the fray!

3 comments:

Kim Caro said...

cute dollies by the way :)

Cherry Poppins said...

>The opportunity to have keynote speaker Dorothy Allison witness and affirm all of our lives as femmes, was like being baptised by a fiery queer preacher.

Umm, can I get an AMEN?

She was divine. I went around for a week saying "Dorothy Allison hugged me." Wow.

Michelley said...

Thank you Kim! :)

Cherry...for reals.

Blog Archive

Add me on Facebook